After all the rain we got from the storm it looks like the elephant ears are going crazy growing in nice and thick making quite a statement. I am surprised to see a few early blooming daylilies Red Stripe seedlings still hanging around. The Burpee Cut and Come Again zinnias are going to be a favorite of mine because I want to save seeds from these to grow next year.
I really love moss roses because they are one of the easiest pest and disease free flowers a person could grow. They are easily started from seeds,need full sun and moist well drained soil. I just sprinkle the seeds over the soil since they are so tiny during spring and water in lightly pressing them in. I will share more of these later.
The Hurricane wasn’t as bad as we thought. All it did was make a mess in our garden and I am so thankful for the fact our lights stayed on and we didn’t get flooded out. In 2016 I lost all my plants to a flood and now I am working on restoring my losses by growing seedlings. I have plants that are survivors of this climate and bad weather to use for the pollen and pod parents. This will ensure that I have plants to enjoy for years to come.
Red Sunflowers in bloom
I am glad I supported the sunflowers because they made it just fine and are blooming this week! These sunflowers are some kind of autumn mix and I saved seeds from one or two plants with multiple budding and I hope to get more plants like this. We will see in the next week or so if I get some nice multi bud sunflowers. I will update the sunflowers again later. I will conclude with a picture of one of our daylily beds. I enjoy the iris in early spring, daylilies in spring and early summer and then caladiums and elephant ears with perhaps a few annual plantings for rest of the year.
Bracing for Hurricane Barry
This is the first post on my new blog. I’m just getting my garden ready for Hurricane Barry. I didn’t do anything that looked fancy but more like frantic from the looks of this picture. I managed to use wooden stakes and ropes to support some of my sunflowers. The one sunflower I did not support is already toast and this is just the day before! I turned a lot of pots over on their sides to avoid excessive damage to my plants and put some of the more delicate plants like the Japanese Morning Glories in the shed. I placed covers over some of my seedlings so they wouldn’t get damaged or washed out by the rain.
In spite of being in a humid shed the Hannahubuki bloomed beautifully today with a small flush of first blooms. I have more of a variety of different kinds of Japanese Morning Glories to share later on.
I finally got some daylily pods to plant during the last few weeks. The seeds I have planted took about 14 days to sprout. I was a little worried at first but noticed the tiny green grass like sprouts and decided it was OK to plant right out of the pods. These seedlings are from the Red Little Business.
|Giant Banana tree bloom close up|
|Giant Banana Tree Blooms|
|Morning Glory white ipomoea purpurea
Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit
|Hardy hibiscus foliage|
It has been really hot and dry so a considerable amount of my time has been spent watering. This week I planted some Japanese Morning glory large flower crosses,mutants,dwarf and some labeled Shiborizaki. Those will be updated in about 6 weeks but if you want to see my past growing projects visit the archived website Japanese Morning Glory Database. I also planted out a lot of canna lily seedlings which will be updated in the fall. It takes about 3-4 months for a canna seedling to grow and bloom from a seed.
This morning I was able to take a couple of frozen daylily pollen anthers out and let it defrost in a cool dry area before taking it outside. I like to plan the crosses after looking over what is blooming next to what pollen I have available. Then I make my tags and attach the yarn. If I have a lot of blooms and I want to use one kind of pollen to increase my chances of getting pods I will assign a yarn color to one pollen parent and simply spread the pollen and tie the blooms with no tag. I will place the labels for pollen and pod parents when I gather the pods. Today I used Tuscawilla Snowdrift pollen on many of my Red Ribs seedlings just to see what would happen.
|This is a green with red tips seedling from Raspberry Truffle.|
|Canna Lily Mai Ping Green Seedling|
|Container garden with canna lilies and caladiums|